Monday, January 18, 2010

brown rice crackers




















Tom and I love all of the crunchy, grainy crackers that are on the market lately. However, they are not cheap. So we started experimenting with baking our own, and we came out with these pretty fantastic vegan and gluten free brown rice crackers. The brown rice gives them a bit of a crunch, but can be omitted in favor of amaranth, oats, more quinoa, or any other kinds of grains or seeds. These are quick and simple to make, can be easily adapted to suit the ingredients on hand, and we think they will store and pack well. We are going to try freezing them and see how long they last.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
  • 1/3 cup cooked brown rice
  • 1/3 cup cooked quinoa (regular or red)
  • 2 tablespoons flax
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 cup olive oil 
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup water
  • salt for sprinkling on top of crackers


DIRECTIONS:

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a baking sheet.
  2. In a bowl, mix flour, cooked rice and quinoa, seeds, salt, and olive oil until combined. Add water a little at a time until the dough holds together.
  3. Knead dough a few times on a lightly floured surface (or in bowl). Press onto the baking sheet- the thinner the better. Score into 1 inch squares.
  4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes- until golden brown. Allow to ool before removing from tray.

1 comment:

  1. I love hearing about your plans! (Don't know if my last comment posted, so I'll just apologize now for any repeated info...)
    I had started planning my SoBo journey about a month ago, and I figure it will happen around 2016, when my son graduates from high school. I am mostly vegetarian and gluten free - not from any specific diagnosis but for overall health reason.
    I am so excited for you both, and love reading your posts!!
    Heather Darnell
    mom_and_alex@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete