Thursday, March 25, 2010

Microspikes are amazing.

My good friend, Lindy, and I hiked up Catamount (my local ski area) today. Since the ski season is about finished in the Northeast, we were the only ones on the mountain, but we still had plenty of snow to practice on. We both strapped on our microspikes and headed up the mountain with our trekking poles and ice axes, and it was a lot of fun.

But now I am going to praise MicoSpikes for a little while: they are fantastic. We walked up ice, porous spring snow, mud, and everything in between, and we didnt slip once. They gave us confidence, especially descending, because we knew that when we put our foot down somewhere, that is where it would remain. If you ever find yourself out in the snow in the winter, I would highly recommend a pair of these. They stretch right over any boot (we put ours on while standing at the bottom of the hill), and they are both serious and casual. I believe they may prove to be one of the best pieces of gear on this hike. They are worth their weight in gold (you can also strap them to your pack when they are not on your feet to double as a "bear bell".)

Now that the ski season is over, however, I am devoting more of my time to hiking. And Tom is coming back east on April 5th, which is very exciting. Some more exciting news: I passed my Professional Ski Instructors of America Level 2 Skiing Exam (and written exam) this past week up at Mount Snow, in Vermont. I passed 3 out of 3 of the skiing sessions, and got a surprising 88% on the written exam. A great way to end the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment