Tuesday, March 30, 2010

things you dont think about until you will be living in the woods:

Posted by: Jenna

Both Tom and I wear contacts to see and it has become so second nature, I never really think about it anymore. But I started planning out this hike and realized I wouldnt want to be sticking my grubby hands in my eyes every night, or carrying a heavy container of saline solution. So I decided I ought to hike with my glasses on. However, my glasses are thick-framed and heavy, and not the most hiking-savvy item. So I made a trip to my eye doctor, found out my eyesight had worstened (great), and tried on new frames (for my designated "hiking glasses"). I also decided to kill two birds with one great pair of glasses by getting transition lenses (they transition to tinted sunglasses when it is bright out, and back to regular glasses when it is cloudy or dark). I have gone on two hikes in my new glasses, and they are highly practical. They are not, however, the most stylish- but I keep reminding myself I will be in the woods. They look great as regular glasses, but a bit goofy as the sunglasses. Honestly, they make me look a bit like an old man.

Tom also made a trip to his eye doctor (bi-coastal optometrist visits), and ended up with a pair of glasses, and a pair of prescription sunglasses (Ray-Bans, nonetheless. There is no question about who will be more stylish for those 2,700 miles). Now we will both be able to see the trail, each other, and the amazing views. Which checks another thing off of our to-do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment