Thursday, May 6, 2010

low snow year- great sobo season

Posted by Jenna.

I have just spent the past hour trying to pull up some information about weather conditions. Yea, pretty dull. But what I have found is that it has been a low snow year in Washington (I just hope that doesn't mean the same thing to them as "sunny day"). This is great news for southbound hikers (like ourselves) because it will allow us to start earlier in the season without being stuck in snow for weeks. Also, the creeks are high in southern California, so it looks like we wont have much trouble finding water in the fall.

I have also been finalizing my packing list, but its really hard to know what kind of weather we will be encountering. There is a bunch of literature on the northbound PCT hike, and what those folks will be finding along the way. But no one can really tell me what temperatures we will be hitting or other weather patterns for the areas we will be in.

I did find a few people who are also doing southbound hikes this season. Actually, quite a bunch. I think its going to be an unusually high sobo season because of the optimal weather.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tom and Jenna,

    I am also SOBO this year. Start date TBD. Late storms have put the snow levels to normal so I don't think I will go for the early start as originally planned. I hope to see you out there!

    Darren
    talhog@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete