Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Bi-costal blogging

Post by Jenna

So I am back on the east coast, in Massachusetts, working at Catamount Ski Area 6 days a week. Its nice to have some sort of schedule after a long vacation, but I am pretty much busy from 7am-7pm with teaching skiing, going to the gym, and then woofing down dinner. In the evenings I am so tired all I can do is sit, until I end up falling asleep around 9:00. But its good because I am making some money and getting in shape for my hike- I just keep telling myself that I am toughening up so 20 miles a day wont feel quite so rough.

But we have been getting some snow and the skiing has been fantastic. Between my runs and lessons I have been making to-do lists of things we need to get done before we set out on the trail, because the time just keeps drawing closer. The other day I went shopping at EMS for snow traction devices and a bear canister. I had been trying to decide between micro-spikes or yak-trax, and after reading online reviews and talking to some salesmen, I decided micro-spikes were what I needed. They have more traction, and are really designed to go hiking in and fit over bigger boots. I was also trying to decide between two different bear canisters: the bear vault, and the Garcia Bear-resistent container. I ended up getting the Garcia because it is lighter and cheaper, and they both had gotten equally good reviews. Tom has the bear vault, so we can compare and contrast. I think we will be bringing them the full distance, so we wont have to bear bag. They also make great stools (and drums).



















I think I freaked my parents out a bit by bringing home an ice axe. I dont think they realized we were going to be in the snow, so I eased their nerves by showing them photos of the trail and the amount of snow. But thats when my mom decided to get me the micro spikes for my birthday (so I would have her to thank when I dont fall off the mountain). I am really excited to bring my micro-spikes and ice axe to the mountain to try them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment