Wednesday, February 24, 2010

gluten free foods I love:

Post by Jenna.

As Celiac's Disease becomes a more common affliction in America, gluten free companies are popping up all over the place. I live in a fairly rural area, yet all of my local grocery stores have specific gluten free sections with so many choices it is dizzying. I usually just eat non-gluten items and dont worry about substituting (or I bake my own), but every once in a while it's a great treat to get a loaf of gluten free bread, or some special crackers or cookies, and just feel like a normal person. So I figure I should compile a list of my favorite gluten free foods on the market today. And how is this related to hiking, you may ask? Well, I like to eat a lot while hiking...and I dont have the luxury of an oven on the trail. : )
I also get asked fairly often what a gluten free gal like me eats on a daily basis, so I am going to list some go-to grains and foods that are suitable for a gluten free diet:
  • Quinoa
  • Amaranth grain
  • Corn Pasta
  • Rice Noodles
  • Lentils
  • Gluten Free Oats
  • I also love to cook Indian food, and bake lots of cookies (the worlds most delicious peanut butter cookie recipe will be posted soon).
  • Granola (with gf oats)
  • And good ol' fresh fruits and veggies
In general, Bob's Red Mill is a great company that offers all types of gluten free (and regular) grains, flours, and baking mixes. It's also available in most general markets. Glutino is also a great company that makes reliably delicious foods (its always a gamble with gluten free stuff).

No comments:

Post a Comment